A villa located in the northern part of Riudecanyes Swamp at the foot of the mountains of Escornalbou Castle.
It lies between the Sierra de L'Argentera to the west, and the south-eastern counterfort, which is guarded by the Puigcerver mountain and it ends in Puigmarí. Although this mountain reaches 659m, the village is 268m above sea level.
The area covers an area of 13.51 km2 and it receives water from the gullies of Enseula, L'Argentera and the Masos. It borders with Riudecanyes to the north-east, with Alforja to the north-west, with L'Argentera to the south-west and with Pradell to the west. The meeting point of the rivers is where the village sprang up, a site that surely influenced the name it was given (Duesaigües means ‘two waters').
It is known that, in 1388, the priest of L'Argentera allowed the construction of a church in Duesaigües. Until then, Duesaigües and Valls (that belonged to Escornalbou) depended on the neighbouring parish of L'Argentera.
It was one of the villages that participated in the meetings of the Commune. Parallel to the construction of the church of L'Argentera, Duesaigües built its own church towards the second half of the eighteenth century. This indicated an economic and population boom. The town was invaded and plundered in 1810 by the French army. In 1925 Eduard Toda gave to Duesaigües the Vilamanya water source, after what he was honoured by being named the town's adopted son.
The village has two viaducts, the larger is made of stone and brick, and it has 14 arches spread over two levels. The other, smaller in size, it was built with the same material and it has 9 arches arranged on two levels.
The first viaduct, in the Masos, has Industrial Heritage Site of Catalunya status. During the Civil War, some of its powerful structures were flown. The viaduct is obvious when entering the village from the T-313 road and follows it all the way to Falset. The second is located just out of town in the direction to L'Argentera and you can get to its base from the road besides the football field of Duesaigües. They were built in 1893. They could have been designed by the engineer Eduard Maristany Gibert (Barcelona 1850-1923).
Major allies that introduced the latest technological advances at the time supported the construction of the railway in the late nineteenth century. These are the bridges, viaducts and tunnels that played a key role to facilitate the development of the railway between towns and cities and contributed to make them richer and more prosperous.
The strong bridges - as well as lasting into the future - indicate a level of confidence in the area. Those in the Camp are usually narrow, with neatly carved stone, built with stone from the area without too many concessions to ornament and a presence that indicates, above all, strength. The most prominent are the ones in La Riera, Maspujols, Roda de Bara and Duesaigües. Over the years, these volumes would reduce weight, since the Industrial Revolution applied the use of iron or concrete. The appearance of the figure of the civil engineer was an undeniable and needed presence, precisely to run buildings that needed very precise and reliable technical and geographical knowledge of the territory.
It was built in 1388. The current one was built in 1752 on the site of the old one with the permission of Archbishop Peter of Copons and it was blessed on September 26, 1753.
We propose more interesting activities to discover the Mountains of the Costa Daurada
We do not have any products for your search.
Try other filters to find the one that best suits your needs.